|In January, 1921, a movement was started to organize a Methodist Church in Auburndale.
It all began with a Tent Revival in February, 1921, at the Auburndale Downtown Park, where the children's playground equipment is currently located. Services were held in the auditorium of the middle school, until a building could be built.
February, 1922, property was purchased on the corner of Bartow Avenue (now Main Street) and Bridgers Avenue. This is the building where the Main Street Baptist Church currently holds its services. The Methodist Church was dedicated on July 4, 1922. The first parsonage was built on Pine Street and later moved to Lime Street. Sometime during 1927, a Sunday School annex was built directly behind the Church. Later, this building was sold and moved to another location. Later, in 1950, on the Main Street location, a two story building was built on the site of the old annex to be used for a fellowship hall and classrooms.
June, 1965, the current parsonage was purchased. And in October, 1965, the current property (316 Ariana Blvd.) was purchased with plans of constructing a new sanctuary, which began in 1969. The Evangelical United Brethren Church and The Methodist Church formed to create the United Methodist Church in 1968.
Construction of the current Sanctuary began in 1969 and was completed March 1, 1970, with the Dedication Service taking place on March 8, 1970.
Early 1970's, construction began on the Christian education building; four classrooms and church office at 316 Ariana Blvd. Sometime in 1979, construction began on two additional classrooms and the fellowship hall.
August 18,2002, construction was completed on a two-story education building; housing church office, pastor's study, classrooms and youth area on the second floor.
Stop by and see how the ministries of First United Methodist Church of Auburndale are working in our community.